Thursday, July 2, 2009

To Do or not To Do List

Woman. Mom. Wife. Writer. Entrepreneur. Volunteer, and on and on and on...you women out there know what it means to have a ton on your plate. Sometimes it's really hard to balance all of these roles, especially when they topple all over each other at the same time! I have been looking for a tool to help me not feel so overwhelmed when things get busy (which is all the time, right?). I have always been a "lister", I even have "make more lists" written on my to do list! I like the feeling I get when I get to scratch something off the list. I like it so much, that when I am sitting down to make my list initially, if I've already completed a task not on the list I will add it just so I can scratch it off!

You can see why I have been thinking to do lists might not be the most productive tool for me, no matter how gratifying. So...off to Google. I came across an article by Jim Bird, President of WorkLifeBalance.com and loved one of the things I read. Instead of making a to do list...ask the question "when am I going to do this?", then take that item, pick a time slot on your calendar, and insert it. It spreads out the work load, already gives me a sense of taking action because I suddenly know WHEN I am actually going to find the time to complete the task. I love this idea. It makes me think all of the things on my list are validated and deserve their own time and consideration. I'm going to give it a try...as hard as it may be to give up my "list". Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment