Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What Got To Me Today: 19 yr. old with record, runs down ducklings

Dillon Pearce is in trouble again.

I have nothing good to say here.  Pearce is an Ann Arbor teen who was in trouble with the law just 11 months ago.  Perhaps still on probation?  I hope so.  The disgusting act he was involved in last May looks like child's play compared to what he is accused of now.

Let's re-cap.  Last May, he and a bunch of pals decided to smash in the back window of a police car, and pour feces into it. The feces was delivered via cups from a restaurant he and his pals were hanging out in prior to the incident.  Classy.

He must not have gotten much of a consequence for that little prank because currently, 11 months later, he is driving a big ol' Hummer around town running over baby ducklings. Truly, I'm supposed to say "allegedly" running over ducklings despite the many witness accounts of the incident. 

This kid, now age 19 and charged as an adult, was driving through a McDonalds for lunch, where there happen to be an adult duck and several baby ducks walking around the parking lot.  I'm quite familiar with this area and know there is water nearby, and ducks are often wandering around.  The passenger in Mr. Pearce's car jumped out and tried to pick up one of the ducklings, but did not succeed due to the dismay and shouts of McDonalds employees.  The two in the Hummer parked in the lot to eat for about 15 minutes.  Then...

Mr. Pearce, according to spectators' reports, took his big ol' Hummer and ran down four of the baby ducklings, killing them. On purpose. As if putting on a show.

(Pause)

I am happy to report that Dillon Pearce was arrested a short time later at a nearby gas station for killing the animals.  I have since learned that deliberately killing waterfowl is a Federal offense.  Aaaaahhhh....that makes me feel a little better. 

This kid is driving his Hummer down a road of destruction.  The fact that he thinks running over ducklings is funny, or even acceptable, is disturbing.  He obviously needs help.  Unfortunately, after he "hires a private lawyer", he may not get much of a consequence.  He was released on a $5000 bond and will be in court May 4th.

A different man in Washtenaw county got jailtime recently for killing a Parrot....so perhaps there is hope that something similar will happen to Pearce.  It sounds to me like this is a spoiled kid who needs a heck of a wake up call. 

I still get upset thinking of it, hoping there weren't little kids who witnessed it.  What a horrible picture to have in their heads. Perhaps Mr. Pearce should think about that?  How many little kids could he have really upset by his actions?  I'm guessing he wouldn't care about that either.

There were over 200 comments on the article in the newspaper, many agreeing that punishment should be time served at the Humane Society.  I think, if found guilty, he deserves both.  Prison might make him think twice next time, and maybe some time forced to care for animals will brew some compassion within him?

I don't know.  A troubled kid.  An awful incident.  This is what got to me today.

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely despicable! Definitely spoiled rotten driving around in his parents hummer probably! You do the crime, you pay the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the community service. As much as I'd like to see him go to jail I don't think we should. We shouldn't responsible for paying for his jail time with our tax money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mind your own business, hoodrat

    ReplyDelete
  4. This little punk deffinately needs jailtime. His rich parents and their lawyer got the charges against him dropped for his vandalizing a cop car...now the same lawyer is back to defend him here...make this kid pay!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. People like this need to be tortured. I was just looking for a picture online of baby ducks to put on my screen of my phone and ran across your article. Just this morning I parked my Volvo mid traffic on a 6 lane highway and turned my hazard lights on. I got out of my vehicle to rescue 2 little ducklings that unfortunately couldn't make it up the high curb like their mom and siblings before them. Nobody honked or yelled and a police officer that came up behind my vehicle turned on his lights so my car wouldn't get hit. Living in Florida it's kind of an unspoken sense of responsibility that we take care of them (the wildlife) above all else.
    People like this kid need to be disciplined to the fullest extent of the law.

    ReplyDelete